CREATING BEAUTIFUL SMILES WITH
Endodontic Therapy or Root Canal Therapy
Endodontic therapy or root canal therapy is a sequence of treatment for the infected pulp of a tooth which results in the elimination of infection and the protection of the decontaminated tooth from future microbial invasion.
- INDICATIONS FOR ROOT CANAL THERAPY:
- A patient complaining of severe toothache while chewing food or severe pain while taking hot or cold liquid where examination shows presence of severe tooth decay. This can lead to accumulation of blackish material (bacteria) on the tooth.
- Darkening of the tooth when the patient meets with an accident.
- A long standing dental infection in the bone that erodes through the side of the bone and causes sudden, serious and painful swelling.
- In case of severely worn out teeth, where crown is being advised by the Dentist. Before placing a crown in such a case, that tooth may need to be Root Canal Treatment.
- PROCEDURE OF ROOT CANAL THERAPY:
- The tooth under complain is first and foremost anesthetized(made numb) using a local anesthetic.
- The cavity (dark area involving bacteria) is then drilled and cleaned up till the root area.
- Pulp (nerves, blood vessels and capillaries) and then removed using adequate instruments and hence, the tooth is now virtually dead or pain free.
- Proper instrumentation, cleaning and shaping of the newly cleaned cavity then takes place.
- Once properly cleaned and inspected the cavity and root area are then filled with a adhesive (tooth filling material) and then cavity cleaned.
- Success rate of the Endodontic therapy is 97% in majority of cases.
- The process is usually done in minimum 3 seating/visits and maximum 4 seating/visits.